Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Bloodline Inheritance has been released! + Fun DIY!



WOOT! Let us celebrate!  The fourth and final book in The Magicians Series, titled Bloodline Inheritance was released last Friday! The author, Lindsey R. Sablowski, is a dear friend of mine, and though we haven't met in person, it is an honor to be part of her virtual book release tour.

Here is the official summary:


Dyanna Carpathia has been a runner her entire life. A handsome man offers her love and a new beginning, but the war could change everything. Now her dreams of leaving behind magic and living as a human seem unrealistic. The magical war demands strength and focus, but Dyanna is haunted by a dark secret. Who will save her from a potential downfall? 
 Nearby on the battlefield is Malin Petrescu, a survivor who views Dyanna as a potential threat. They share different opinions on the magical world and the future. Marrying the love of his life demands him to fight no matter the consequences. However, victory means defeating their greatest enemy, Christopher. Dyanna’s loyalty is tested, but can she and Malin set aside their differences to save their loved ones? 
In the fourth and final installment to the Magicians series we witness the war and the aftermath.
This is the last stand for the Dark magicians, and for some it will cost them everything.

The Magicians Series is an excellent fantasy series and I can't wait to read Bloodline Inheritance! 
Wanna know why? Well, just check out this excerpt from the book:


“Kill her,” he said.
She shook her head fiercely and whispered, “Please don’t. Please... I will surrender, but please have mercy.”
 
Her eyes were wide, and she winced from the pain the orbs had caused. They struck the body like daggers, but they were not lethal. She could live, though she would require a lengthy recovery. I held the shard and debated the options in my head. Malin still stood behind me, whispering to end her life. Tears streamed down Jacquette’s face, and for the first time she did not look like a threat. She was a woman like myself, one who had left Dark magic. Had I fallen for a man like Christopher I would be in her exact position, but instead we were on opposite sides. She once had the respect and love from Malin and the others in Destin. Now she laid on the ground entirely defenseless. I knelt down and grabbed the dagger from her hand, but she continued to beg for mercy. How many times could I kill someone before I became a monster? Malin wanted me to kill her, but the more I looked at her the more she reminded me of myself. 
“I’ll do it myself,” Malin grumbled, withdrawing his sword. He raised it in the air, but I quickly threw my body over top of Jacquette’s. She groaned, but without my body over hers I doubted I could stop Malin. 
He glared at me. “Move out of the way, Dyanna! If you were in her position she would have killed you. Don’t make me choose.”

 I don't know about you, but from this and the look inside the book on Amazon, I am dying to read this! I only own a copy of the first book in the series, Cursed With Power, so I guess I have some book acquiring--and reading--in my future.

Now for the D.I.Y. portion of this tour stop. Since the moment I laid eyes on the cover I loved it. The ethereal feel and multi-colored clouds are reminiscent of watercolors, so I immediately wanted to do something to incorporate the beautiful color palette and the dreamy way they blend into each other. I tried a makeup look using all of the colors, and while it looked nice, I'm hopeless at makeup tutorials (been there, failed at that). Then I thought, "Nails!" but I had already done that in celebration of Cursed With Power's release, plus my cuticles don't photograph well (yes, I'm that vapid). Instead, I made some mad cool decorative letters that can be displayed on a wall or shelf.









The watercolor isn't from actual watercolor paint; it's from Sharpie markers!




I got the idea for the watercolor effect from this nail tutorial:



Materials:

  • Cardboard
  • Cardstock
  • Scissors/serrated knife/X-acto knife (I don't have an X-acto knife, but I'm sure that would have worked better)
  • White paint
  • Elmer's Glue (you can probably use whatever kind of glue, I'm just putting what I used)
  • Sharpie markers
  • Rubbing alcohol
  • Glass bowl
  • Paint brush (mine was a 1/4" brush)


Step 1. Cut out letters from cardboard. The "L" is 10" tall and 6" wide. The "S" turned out a bit smaller as I did free hand them.


Step 2. Paint the edges of the cardboard white. While totally optional, I just thought it would look nicer.


Step 3. Trace the letters onto white cardstock then glue the cardstock letters onto the cardboard letters. I wasn't too worried about the cardboard letters looking perfect because I made the cardstock letters the teeniest bit larger and with cleaner lines, to cover up the cardboard.


Step 4. Cover the bottom inside of a clean dry bowl thoroughly with Sharpie ink. Add a splash of alcohol into the bowl and mix with brush.


Step 5. Paint, drip, and splat ink and alcohol mixture onto letters. I painted on the colors in this order: purple (drawing pink on 2/3 of the bowl and blue on the other 1/3), yellow, orange, pink, and blue.


Step 6. In between each color, rinse bowl and brush thoroughly and dry bowl completely.


Repeat steps 4-6 for each color.


If I had bothered to look for a red Sharpie, the colors might have matched the book cover better, but nonetheless, I liked how they turned out. For a more professional look I would try it on wooden letters or 3D cardboard letters from the store (I know it's possible to make 3D letters, but I was afraid of cutting a finger off with that "S" therefore I did not want to make any more than the minimum amount).


Sure, I could've used actual watercolor paints, but a) I was too lazy to look for them, b) I had the right colors of Sharpies, and c) this seemed like more fun.


I had a blast making these letters and I loved how they turned out, so I would like to thank Lindsey for the opportunity and inspiration. I hope you like them!


You can purchase Bloodline Inheritance at most major online retailers: CreatespaceAmazonAmazon (ebook)Barnes & Noble, and after you read it don't forget to rate it on Goodreads!


If you've only just heard of the series, start at the beginning with Cursed With Power


Check out my other posts about the Magicians Series on my style blog.


Lastly, give Lindsey a visit on her blogFacebookTwitterTumb1rGoodreads, and follow her on Instagram (@lindseysablowski)!


If you recreate the letters, post a pic in the comments below or tag me on Instagram (@thekaemonster).


Have fun! - Kae

No comments:

Post a Comment